The first year of Logan Loves has flown by! It was the end of January 2017 when we received 501 (c) 3 status for the foundation and in just over one short year you helped us to raise an incredible amount of money to fulfill Logan Loves mission to bring joy and healing to kids and families in the hospital.
Honestly, we had no idea what to expect, no idea if it would work and pretty much no idea what we were doing but we went for it anyway and it was awesome.
Logan Loves found success because Anna Scheffley created her senior year project around Logan and truly gave us the kick in the pants to get Logan Loves going. The initial “Heart of a Spartan” t-shirt sales before and after Logan’s transplant were just incredible and created a fund we realized we could grow. After that…
The response and love shown to our family since the day we learned the about the boys in 2003 has given us strength, encouragement and gusto day after day and month after month. Add to that, the pure love poured on us once his transplant adventure started to today and it’s pretty much the most humbling thing ever. We’re here—Logan’s here—in large part because of all of you. Thank you.
In 2017, we hosted one event for kids at the hospital—Space Jam during the NCAA tournament. Logan Loves Basketball and of course, Subway, and this was a super fun day and way to think big but start small with our ideas. Our goal is to increase events this year. We’re also going to be delivering Sweet Martha cookies to kids and families soon because well, Logan Loves Sweet Martha cookies.
And what’s really new and big and next for Logan Loves will be announced on Feb. 7 along with some things we think you’ll love.
Check back then!
History: The idea for Logan Loves was just an idea for a good few years. We knew the why we wanted to do it but the what or the how took a while to be revealed. Then it came to us—come up with things Logan Loves (or strongly likes) that would bring joy and healing to kids and families in the hospital. We started to bring it to life last year around this time and got our 501 (c)3 status in January. And now, in just our first year, we just might be able to crack the $10,000 mark! What!? I can hardly believe it as I type it but its true and we have such awesome things planned. There’s this awesome day called #givingtuesday and we figured hey, maybe some people have an inkling to give a little something for causes they love and care about. So if you’re inclined and want to help us hit this number we could only dream of eleven months ago, it would be awesome. Logan is going to change the world. There’s a donate button right here on LoganLoves
What an amazing six months since our last blog post. Most of the updates happen on Facebook and CaringBridge but given some exciting news we wanted to share a few updates:
1. Logan and his bro Owen are officially high schoolers. Freshman. It's a little surreal but they are loving it.
2. Our summer was pretty awesome. We moved to a great new house
3. Logan stayed relatively healthy. He had his first annual Cath which led doctors to insert both a right pulmonary and right coronary stent to help his blood pressure and to prevent addl narrowing. Total success but unexpected bleeding resulted in and emergency endoscopy. He was miraculously in and out of the hospital in 36 hours.
4. His EBV level is finally getting under control with a drug called Rituximab, which is an infusion drive given over 4-6 hours. His fourth and final dose will happen this Friday and hopefully we will get the number back to zero from nearly 1.5 million. This will also hopefully rid of the suspected PTLD.
5. We were able to do a few things with Logan Loves this summer, including have they boys birthday party be an opportunity for donations. His friends were so thoughtful! And we were able to bring some things to one of Logan's pals in the hospital to "bring her joy and healing." It was awesome and we need to do more!
6. The exciting and timely news is that a benefit concert will be happening Sept 17 for Logan Loves! It's a concert led by my dear friend dating back to elementary school Natalie. She and her violin students will be playing a myriad of music from old to new on a perfect Sunday afternoon. Details are here and we'd welcome anyone to come and join us! So many thanks to Natalie and her team for bringing this to life. Just think of what we will be able to do!
What a great day! Sunday we had the opportunity to bring Logan Loves to life in our first event for patients and families! We hosted a March Madness-inspired afternoon at the University of Minnesota Masonic Children’s Hospital with food, games and the movie Space Jam, with Michael Jordan and a slew of other basketball legends. Logan’s basketball quiz was a ton of fun and the kids who answered the questions correctly received prize bags. Thank you to everyone who supported this effort and we are looking forward to share what we have in mind for the future!
it's official! With all of the amazing financial and educational support we received from old friends, brand new friends and family, we are now officially running as a 501(c)3. Thank you!!!! From this point forward, all of your donations are tax deductible. We only wish this was in place sooner for you! 2017 will be a great year.
Thank you so much for supporting Logan and our Logan Loves non-profit in 2016. Just before Christmas we were able to purchase a bin full of teenager gifts for the kids at the Minnesota Masonic Children's Hospital. This was a special time for us and we truly enjoyed being able to pay forward your support!
Also, just prior to the calendar turning to 2017, we officially submitted our 501(c)3 distinction request and hope to be an official non-profit by early 2017!
Logan and his family have had a tremendous impact on me. They have taught me so many things, but most importantly they have taught me about faith. Both Logan and his family fight their daily battles with smiles on their faces and determination in their hearts. They show me that faith means to believe that God has a plan even in the worst of times. Logan personifies the quote "it's not how big you are, it's how big you fight". I am proud to know Logan and learn from him. I am excited for Logan and his future and also the future of the Logan Loves Organization.
Logan received his new heart! The most precious gift. Read the Caring Bridge update here.
Logan and Owen continue to amaze and inspire us. We have had many requests for shirts so we are reopening the store. Please pass on the word that shirts are available again.
I am looking forward to seeing Logan return home from his incredible journey and working with him to provide the kids at MN Masonic Hospital some special gifts. Pray for a uncomplicated recovery for Logan and show your support by making a donation or picking up a shirt.
Thank you all for supporting Logan Loves!
First, thank you to all of the Logan Loves supporters out there. We had a start-up fundraising goal of $1000 and we have more than doubled that. And the support keeps pouring in!!
Logan is inspiring us from St. Louis this week. You can read his updates here: https://www.caringbridge.org/visit/bushawboys
Thank you, Logan! Your hard work this last week is getting noticed and appreciated! When we read your mom's posts we are inspired to try and match your hard work toward our own smaller challenges of the day. Keep it up and make sure to let us know if you need anything to keep up the battle.